Friday, January 20, 2012

Gene Autry Museum & More...

A few weeks ago we headed down to the Gene Autry Museum with my parents. My father and myself are HUGE cowboy and western fans, so this was a big treat for us! I grew up only watching The Roy Rogers show and Lone Ranger. I couldn't wait to finally get there! Well, after an hour or so of a drive we finally made it. The Gene Autry museum is right across the street from the L.A. Zoo, nestled in the same hills as the Observatory.

Right outside the museum, there is a large statue of Gene...so of course we took advantage of the picture oppurtunity.
I wore my vintage western plaid Levi's pull over shirt along with my Fabulous Freddie's of Pinewood high waisted jeans. The top I found for .99 at the local Thrift.



My parents



Then we headed into the museum and started with the collection based on "Cowboys and the West in the Media." It was filled with an array of 40s and 50s western artists. Among them were Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Lone Ranger, Gene Autry, Sons of the Pioneers, and so much more! I made one turn and there it was....the guitar and saddle owned by my Roy Rogers! I was estatic! Everyone in the museum must have thought I was crazy...but I wasn't the only one. Albrech found his idol's costume, Lone Ranger! He kept saying "Take my picture, take my picture, take my picture!" We were like little kids in line to meet Superman.



There were so many photo oppurtunities! =)






There was a Civil War collection in the process of being put together and I couldn't help but take a sneek peek! It looked so interested. But of course I am a history nut. The entire museum was a treat, there was Wells Fargo historical items, Vintage Presidential armory, JFK's presidential pistol, Indian history, the Gold Rush history, and so much more! It is truly something for the history buff to experience.

After the museum we decided to hit a local diner, so we found this cute gem called "50's Cafe." The food was DELICIOUS! The decor was amazing! Nothing taky or typical. It was decorated with actual 50's collectable vintage ads and toys. It was a fun experience!





Boy Oh Boy! What a day this was! =)


No comments:

Post a Comment